Ingredients1 pound Florida yellow squash2 ears fresh Florida sweet corn (1 1/2 cup frozen)3 large Florida onion2 large Florida garlic cloves1 fresh jalapeño pepper1 tablespoon olive oil1/4 teaspoon ground cumin2 1/2 cups watersalt and pepper to tastePreparation
- Cut squash crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Shuck corn and, working over a bowl, cut kernels from cobs. Halve cobs.
- Chop onion and mince garlic. Wearing rubber gloves, chop pepper.
- In a 5-quart heavy kettle combine all ingredients (including shucked cobs) except water and cook over moderate heat, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Stir in water and simmer mixture until squash is very tender, about 15 minutes. Discard cobs.
- In a blender puree mixture in batches until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring batches to another bowl. Season soup with salt and pepper.