Ingredients½ pound whole-wheat pasta shells2 tablespoons butter1½ tablespoons whole-wheat flour1 cup milk1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese1 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese2 cups cooked Florida broccoli, squash or tomatoes, chopped2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese2 tablespoons wheat germPreparation
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Be careful not to overcook the pasta; it will cook again when the whole dish is baked.
- Melt butter in small nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Stirring constantly, add flour and cook until a paste forms, about 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until the white sauce slightly thickens.
- In a large bowl, combine white sauce with shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Place vegetables in a large colander in the sink. Drain pasta into colander over the vegetables. The heat of the water will reheat the cooked vegetables.
- Add pasta and cooked vegetables to cheese sauce. Gently stir to coat pasta and vegetables. Pour pasta mixture into a 9-inch round casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan and wheat germ. Sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake casserole until hot and bubbly, about 10 minutes.