|2||cups vegetable broth|
|1||cup uncooked barley|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1||small onion chopped|
|1||cup sliced Florida zucchini|
|2||cups cooked chicken cut in bite sized pieces|
|1/2||cup plain low-fat yogurt|
|3/4||cup shredded, low-fat Monterrey Jack cheese|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
- Boil broth in a large sauce pan. Add barley and cover. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Heat oil in skillet and sauté onion until transparent. Add zucchini and sauté lightly just until juices appear. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Combine chicken, yogurt, and 1/2 cup cheese in mixing bowl. When barley has finished cooking, remove from heat. Add zucchini and chicken mixtures to barley. Transfer to large greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes.
*Use extra zucchini from this recipe to make food for your baby.
- Choose 1-2 smaller 1-2 fresh Florida zucchini; smaller zucchini are usually most tender.
- Wash and cut into small slices or chunks. Do not remove skins.
- Steam zucchini until tender
- Place into food grinder and puree
- Add water as necessary to achieve a smooth, thin consistency